Jan 20, 2024

Video Game Addiction

Having a lot of trouble shaking it, but feel as though I am on the mend?

I just need to stop playing games where you need to level up... so as I can live my life more fully.

I have all the signs and symptoms, of video game addiction (internet gaming disorder):

  • Poor performance at school, work or household responsibilities as a result of excessive video game playing.
  • Withdrawal symptoms, such as sadness, anxiety or irritability, when games are taken away or gaming isn’t possible.
  • A need to spend more and more time playing video games to get the same level of enjoyment.
  • Giving up other previously enjoyed activities and/or social relationships due to gaming.
  • Being unable to reduce playing time and having unsuccessful attempts to quit gaming despite the negative consequences it’s causing.
  • Lying to family members or others about the amount of time spent playing video games.
  • A decline in personal hygiene or grooming due to excessive video gaming.
  • Using video games as a way to escape stressful situations at work or school or to avoid conflicts at home.
  • Using video games to relieve negative moods, such as guilt or hopelessness.

If you or a loved one are experiencing these signs and symptoms, talk to your healthcare provider or a mental health professional. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/23124-video-game-addiction

Not sure how to break the cycle other than to somehow justify to myself to not play games that give me the urge for example "this game will take me too long to master" or "this game has too much rng/luck involved."

I think I am doing, I guess knowing is half the battle, but only time will tell. Stress from work and just being miserable with everything does not help it's catch 22. *sigh*