Oct 13, 2012

Starcraft II

People often ask me why I am so heartless and unemotional, my reply is usually along the lines of being emotionality spent from playing Starcraft; I jest. Its is an RTS (real time strategy) which is what it says and playing it is merciless. There's no time for raping and pillaging, no time for standing on the ashes of your defeated foe and yelling some nonsensical barbaric cry of idiocy. No time for shedding tears at the loss of your loved ones. No time for cheese and wine, ha! What folly! If you are unfamiliar with the art of modern warfare you may have to refer here: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft_Wiki.

In playing Starcraft I quickly stayed a golden reputation for myself as I ploughed my way across the galaxy. Oh the wars, the brutal terror. My first memorable battle was 3 generals vs 3 generals. The opposing three sought to flank us both sides continually bombarding me and one other while our centre general went unnoticed and positioned himself for a war fleet of Battlecruisers. Although all three of us we were cut off from one another we still managed to feed through some extra resources to help chip in. Holding on for dear life we fought it out, our saviour eventually coming in the repositioning of the battle from our bases to the centre of our foes with a fearsome Terran fleet engaging them head on ripping through their bases like a T-Rex would a can of diced organic Roma tomatoes. Miraculously me and the other bunkered soldier got back to our feet readied to push forward once more but the battle was over; carried by the Battlecrusiers. We had been hanging on by the skins of our teeth only to arise to a tumultuous victory.

I've seen what would have been a brutal siege carried out by an army of marines evaporated by a mere handful of exploding kamikazes in the bat of an eyelid. A trifle amongst an on going explosion of conflicts, but a side note, a chukle, such folly. I have out manoeuvred, strategically out matched and more often than not surprised my enemies, but I am... my time is calling elsewhere and my weakness is starting to show for it. The Zerg have evolved in cleverness over the year and now a popular strategy of theirs is to go all out Roaches and Infestors trained up and fully tech'ed; its as efficient as it is deadly.

My first battle back in the field was against such a foe it was a see-saw that only moved twice I beat him close on the first attack but I left it too long between my offensive attacks, I had also overstretched for an all out air assault. By the time my fleet was ready they had built up a magnificent army upon their resurrection besieging my fort in a matter of seconds then laying waste to it like a tank would a car. I retreated to other parties. Stumbling upon a hapless group in a 4 v 4 we watched with horror at their inane fumbling and ridiculous bad luck. My air defence deflected their first foray but not deterring. They flanked the other side valiantly but in vain: who when met with defeat attacks in the same place three times... this cost them their best general. With our squad of Helions meanwhile out assassinating anything short of their inner defences we deployed Siege Tanks and a sizeable army to harass head on. Separate patrols of Stalkers and Marines were the only thing keeping us at bay and now with a large contingent of Thors continually knocking at their doors the reinforcements flowed in and they fled.

Turning about face I came across another war-zone: I got mauled all through the first 20 minutes by a non-stop stream of mass of Lings, rouge squad of Immortals and later a battalion of Marines joining in on the fray. This was to be a strategy they kept to the end. I was continually beat down until we brought some air into play. In total we had lost 4 expansions two of which belonged to a compatriot who after thought of nothing better than to flee. Our fleet of VR's moved across the battle and plunged down the left flank defeated only after having obliterated 2 of our foes then in quick succession we smacked them from the right with a squadron of Carriers followed by a Nydus Worm which after being exhausted now left them with only one player and no army in sight.

I have played a lot of Starcraft II which is for me a video game I can always return to and is not about winning nor loosing its about team work and whether you felt the battle was a memorable one. I will admit I have quite a few saved replays, what about you?

Trailer